Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Unpopular Part One


I have never really been popular.  I've always kind of had my own groove, been my own person, and haven't been one to go with the flow.  As an adult, that thrills me!  As a child and adolescent, not so much.

I can honestly say that 90% of the time I don't really care what people think of me.  Yes, I'm human, and when I feel "ganged up on" sometimes my nose gets a little out of joint.  What DOES upset me is if people call my character into question.  That's not about being popular, or being "right"; it's about the fact that I'm pretty much as straight of a shooter as you can get.  I speak the truth, but I TRY to do it in love.  I don't always succeed. But know this:  I don't lie.  I don't cheat.  I don't steal.  I'm very, very human, and I'm sure I have hurt people's feelings with my candor. I really don't mean to.

That being said, there are times when I'm FINE with being unpopular.  In today's culture, it's very UNPOPULAR to be a Bible-believing Christian.  We are about the only social group that it's "okay" (politically correct, socially acceptable) to malign, bully, harass, and just plain hate.  Think about it:  If a Christian stands up for what THEY believe, they can get sued.  I have been called (among other things) myopic, narrow minded, a hater, a homophobe, a bigot, a Nazi, and more.  All because I believe in the God of the Bible, and in His Word as being THE absolute truth in life.

I believe in Jesus, the Son of God, fully God, and fully human at the same time.  I believe He left His place at the right hand of God, came into this world some 2000 years ago, and lived a sinless life (the only One to EVER do that).  Then he suffered a brutal, horrible death so that I could live eternally in heaven.  Yes, I truly believe it.  I believe the Bible is the 100% authority of my life, and that it was written by human hand, but each word was given to the authors by God Himself.
"Great indeed, we confess, is the mystery of godliness:
He was manifested in the flesh,
vindicated by the Spirit,
seen by angels,
proclaimed among the nations,
believed on in the world,
taken up in glory."  I Timothy 3:16 ESV

You don't have to believe like I do.  That's not what this is about.  It's about *everything* being acceptable and tolerable *except* being a Christian.  It's about being preached to about love and acceptance and being told I'm full of hatred and intolerance.  I base my beliefs and my decisions on the Word of God...so if you're offended by me, it's really not my belief that offends you, but God's Word.

Anyone who knows me, I mean really knows me, knows how much I love people.  I can truly love anyone, because Christ loved me while I was yet a sinner.  Jesus said, " A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another. By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.” John 13:34-35 ESV

I've always wanted a bunch of adopted kids because there are so many out there that need a home and family, and I really could LOVE them.  I don't care if you're black, white, brown, yellow, red, or purple.  I don't care if you have long hair or short hair, if you're gay or straight, if you're a Democrat or Rebulican.  I try to see people for who they are on the inside.  Do I agree with every lifestyle out there?  Not at all.

What I'm trying to get at is that there is a HUGE difference between agreeing with someone's lifestyle choices and accepting them as a fellow human being deserving of love.  Do you get that?  I'm not ever going to agree with men using the ladies room or vice versa.  I'm never going to agree with a lifestyle of child molestation because a person was "born that way".  Not. Going. To. Happen. However, there is a difference between hating a sinful lifestyle and hating a person.

"The end of all things is at hand; therefore be self-controlled and sober-minded for the sake of your prayers.Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins. Show hospitality to one another without grumbling." I Peter 4:7-9

A while ago on facebook I posted a poll asking if you thought people were inherently good or inherently bad/evil.  Tomorrow I will post part two of this post, and explain my results and feelings on that.

Thanks for reading.  I welcome your feedback!

No comments:

Love Changes Everything by Micah Berteau - A Book Review

If you're not familiar with the story of Hosea and Gomer in the Bible, it's really quite shocking.  Here's my brief synopsis...