Tuesday, November 6, 2018

Does God Give Us More Than We Can Handle?

He sure does.

There is a familiar adage people say when you're having a tough go of things:  "God will never give you more than you can handle."  I'm so sorry to break it to you, but He certainly WILL.

His Word says, "When you pass through the waters, I will be with you;
    and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you;
when you walk through fire you shall not be burned,
    and the flame shall not consume you." Isaiah 43:2

Notice how it doesn't say "If you pass through the waters" or "If you walk through the fire"?  It says "when" my friends.  Do you know what that means? It means that in this life you WILL without a doubt walk through some dark, difficult times.

(Gee, Kerri, thanks for the encouragement...)

But HERE'S the thing:  God WILL be with you!!  He will NOT let those waters overwhelm you.  He will NOT let those flames you feel licking at your back consume you!  

And you will get *through* it.

God allows things that I don't always understand.  A lot of the time.  Most of the time, to be completely honest.  I don't understand why. Once again I find consolation in God's Word:

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
    neither are your ways my ways, declares the Lord.
For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
    so are my ways higher than your ways
    and my thoughts than your thoughts."  Isaiah 55:8-9

These 2 verses helped me so much when I was sick.  It's like we are all part of a big jig saw puzzle, and all WE can see from our limited view are the pieces that immediately connect to ours.  And the picture from here is NOT always rosy, let me tell ya.  However, we worship a God who sees ALL!  He sees the big picture!  He sees how our pieces, our problems, our predicaments, connect with others' pieces to make the most magnificent picture.

Friends, I don't know why you are dealing with what you are.  I don't need to.  God knows.  He is THERE, right by your side.  Notice that first verse I shared from Isaiah.  It doesn't say "I will be ahead of you" or "I will be behind you", it says, "I will be WITH you."

"Be strong and courageous. Do not fear or be in dread of them, for it is the Lord your God who goes with you. He will not leave you or forsake you.” Deuteronomy 31:6

Be strong, my friend.  God will definitely give you MORE than YOU can handle.  That's only because He wants you to give your burdens to Him.

 "Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest."
Matthew 11:28


No comments:

Love Changes Everything by Micah Berteau - A Book Review

If you're not familiar with the story of Hosea and Gomer in the Bible, it's really quite shocking.  Here's my brief synopsis...