Thursday, May 23, 2013

Pseudo-what?



So I’ve been fighting lung issues on top of the fibromyalgia, Myasthenia, diabetes, etc.  I have something called pseudomonas aeruginosa colonizing in my lungs.  I knew I had a pseudomonas bacterium, but I didn’t know the specific strain.  Well, this one is the worst.  It can cause nectrotizing faciitis, as well as sepsis and a host of other “lovely” complications.

I was supposed to go to a surgical consult on Tuesday to discuss my candidacy for bariatric surgery.  Just this year Medicare started covering “the sleeve” gastrectomy, where they do not rearrange any of my anatomy.  This is the only type of bariatric surgery I was comfortable with.

So what on earth does some weird bacteria and “the sleeve” have to do with each other? Well, my dear MG friend Karen had this same bacteria last year.  It did lead to sepsis in her case, which led to mental, emotional and physical changes that are non-reversible.   

She had an infection in a port she had placed for MG treatments.  It got infected with P. aeruginosa, and then she got some other dinosaur sounding infections, “flesh-eating disease,” sepsis, and it nearly killed her.  She had to have her wound (where the port had been taken out) scrubbed and packed frequently.  And I KNOW that it was excruciating for her.

The point is this pseudomonas aeruginosa is BAD news.  It’s nasty stuff.  And I’m one of the lucky ones that gets to have that particular strain.  Therefore, I will not be undergoing any surgeries that are not absolutely necessary.  All I need is for these little buggers to get into my bloodstream.  I’d be a goner then. 

So that’s my story today.  Another battle to fight.  Another day to conquer.  Good thing I have the Ultimate Warrior on my side, and He will get me through yet another “thing” health-wise.  I’m telling you, if I did not have the hope that God brings, if I did not have the knowledge that Jesus is my Savior and Lord, and that one day I will be free from all this garbage, from this shell, this body, this diseased, burdened wreck, I would not be alive.  Bottom line.

If I did not believe with everything in me that there WILL be a day when there are no more tears, no more pain, no more hurting, where I will have a perfect body, one without illness, one that can sing again…. What would be the point of living through all this?  There wouldn’t be. 

So I carry on, until the day my Savior comes to carry ME home.

1 comment:

Lisa Ehrman said...

I'm so sorry that you're going through this terrible time. I will pray for you.

Love Changes Everything by Micah Berteau - A Book Review

If you're not familiar with the story of Hosea and Gomer in the Bible, it's really quite shocking.  Here's my brief synopsis...