Tuesday, January 17, 2017

A Spectacle of Glory: A Book Review

What a remarkable book.  What an incredible woman!  Joni Eareckson Tada, for those who are unfamiliar, broke her neck diving into a lake she had dove into hundreds of times growing up.  But the last time, it was different.  She was only 17 years old, broke her neck, and immediately became a quadriplegic. Joni went from being on the cusp of all that life has to offer to the brink of death in one dive.  One action that she had done so many times before.

Now, Joni has been wheelchair bound for about 50 years, and she is my absolute hero.  She has inspired me on so many days when I didn't want to get out of bed. But I think, if Joni, who has to wait for someone to help get her out of bed, to help her use the bathroom and get dressed, and can still sing for joy to the Lord, I certainly can.

From the book on December 10 on page 371: "Christians often try to forget their weakness; God wants us to remember it, to feel it deeply. We want to subdue and free ourselves from weakness; God was us to rest and even rejoice in it!"

Now I can see resting, even though it's very tough to do, but rejoicing because I'm weak? That's a tough one. I used to curse my dependence on my husband and others, but slowly, I've realized that it's only when I'm weak, when I'm dependent on God that I am at my strongest.

Joni helped to teach me that. This is a daily devotional with a Scripture reference, a devotion from Joni, and a prayer.  I would highly recommend this book for anyone with a chronic illness.  It is available now in stores, or on amazon.com and other book vendors.

The prayer from Dec. 10: "Father, you know my heart. Even after all these years of weakness, it never becomes easy to accept. It never feels natural to have someone do for me what I would so much rather do for myself. Even so, I praise You today for every weakness that keeps me leaning on the power of Your Mighty Son, who loves me and gave Himself for me."

Wonderful reminders that God is always with us, and He always loves us.  Great devotional!


No comments:

Love Changes Everything by Micah Berteau - A Book Review

If you're not familiar with the story of Hosea and Gomer in the Bible, it's really quite shocking.  Here's my brief synopsis...