Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Who Can You Help?




There are two things I've never been accused of:  speaking too gently, and not having enough passion. So. Read at your own risk. 

Do you know what the problem with people in this country is?  Lack of commitment.  People will get married because they can always get divorced.  People can sign up for something because they can always quit.  Everything in our society is geared toward immediate gratification from microwave ovens to overnight delivery.


I corrected inmate Bible lessons for almost 15 years.  Now, I write inmates via Christian Pen Pals.  Why?  Because I can, and because as a Christian, it is my DUTY to do what Jesus commands.  A couple of my pen pals are lifers.  So I may be writing them for the rest of my days.  Might I get sick of it?  I might.  Will I quit?  NO.  Why?  Because I made a commitment. And because it's the right thing to do.
“Do not forget to show hospitality to strangers, for by so doing some people have shown hospitality to angels without knowing it. Continue to remember those in prison as if you were together with them in prison, and those who are mistreated as if you yourselves were suffering. “ Hebrews 13:2-3

There are many people who will sign up to volunteer for these two specific hours once every two months because then they can appease their conscience and check off their "I volunteered" column on their Christian "to-do" duty list.

Hear me clearly:  You don't have to help me.  I am finding my own way with the help of a few friends.  But for the love of GOD, help SOMEONE.  And KEEP helping them.  Someone with chronic illness, barring the direct Hand of God, will not get better overnight (ergo the name "chronic" illness).  EVER.  A person who has a life sentence in prison will never get out. Therefore, the need does not go away. But I can promise you the volunteers do.

Jesus said in Matthew 25:43-45:
 "I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’
 “They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’
  “He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’"

Let that really sink in.  Read it again.  Ponder it in your heart.  That voice you’re hearing? It’s the Holy Spirit.  You know what he’s telling you to do.

I realize that some seasons of life are different than others, and you may be able to help one person for a while, and then circumstances change and you can't help that person anymore.  But that doesn't give you the choice to just check out.  Find someone else to help.  Everyone can do something.  You don't have to help everyone.  You don't have to have super powers and you can't save the world.  But YOU, yes, YOU reading this, might be the ONE person who can help to make a life-changing, Christ-like difference in someone's life

Please find them. 

They are there.

They are waiting.

They need YOU.


If you are interested, here is the link to Christian PenPals.  http://www.cppministry.com/ Please consider writing to someone who may, as of right now, have absolutely no Hope.

No comments:

Love Changes Everything by Micah Berteau - A Book Review

If you're not familiar with the story of Hosea and Gomer in the Bible, it's really quite shocking.  Here's my brief synopsis...