Saturday, September 15, 2012

This Should NEVER Happen

Well, it's the last day of National Invisible Illness Awareness Week.  I had a totally different post in mind, but something happened to a dear MG friend of mine that I just had to share, so that people are MADE AWARE.

I know about bullying.  I was a "victim" when I was little.  I'm not sure that's what they called it back then, and it sure wasn't handled well.  I've always been the fat kid.  Since kindergarten through high school, college, and into adulthood, I've always been overweight.  And especially in grades 1-9, I was mercilessly teased.  I remember one year I was terrified to leave my house.  I would just cry and cry.  Every day.

But that was school.  And I was a kid.  And it happens.  For the "usual" reasons.  It shouldn't, but it does.  But what I'm going to tell you now...this is THE most disgusting thing I've ever heard.

As I said, this happened to a dear MG friend of mine very recently.  She was at a gas station after picking up her children from school.  She is a single mom, and had been throwing up all that day or the previous one, I can't remember.  Regardless, it took everything she had to get her kids and stop to gas up her vehicle.

After sitting for 15 minutes waiting for an open gas pump, the second it was free a gigantic truck zoomed in and stole her spot.  My friend motioned that she had been there first, and the woman "challenged me to move her truck."  Seriously??  HOW old are we? So she moved on to the next pump.

Now as we all know, stress makes MG worse, and my friend was already near bottom.  She felt herself getting worse on the spot.  As she's pulling up to the next pump, a guy does the same thing! Zooms right up...She pulls her car right up on him, and Big Truck Chick comes over to tell her to move her car!  (The audacity of these people!!)  As Big Truck Chick comes over, my friend goes to get out of her car, and her legs gave out from under her. She fell to the ground.

Her sons were with her, and one of them had to get out to help her.  The other people at the station thought she was drunk, and were LAUGHING at her.  Her son yelled that she was disabled and asked why they were laughing.

This story both breaks my heart and infuriates me.  What kind of world do we live in?  I mean seriously?  The gas station p!ss!ng contest is one thing, but actually laughing at a single woman with children in the car who is in obvious distress?

SHAME ON YOU whoever you are, you heartless, insolent cretin.

Do NOT judge people.  And if you do, may the fleas of a thousand camels infest your nether-regions until you go mad.

No comments:

Love Changes Everything by Micah Berteau - A Book Review

If you're not familiar with the story of Hosea and Gomer in the Bible, it's really quite shocking.  Here's my brief synopsis...