Monday, November 3, 2008

Spots and Polka Dots

Ug. So I finally got rid of this headache I've had since October 15. How do I know it was since October 15? Because that is when I got the flu shot my doctor kept harping at me to get. For four days after that, I had the worst headache and chest pain I've ever had. The next day all is well, until the afternoon when I get the headache back. And so it went every day until this past Wednesday. Then it was so bad I had to go to the doctor. Sinus infection. Second worst headache I've ever had in my life. Doc gave me pain pills and a stong antibiotic. Friday I was in bed all day...Doug had to come home from work at 8 in the morning. I am NEVER in bed all day.

So Saturday my headache is coming and going a little, I finally have some energy to clean up, and I notice little splotches in a circle around my elbows of all things, and down one arm. It's not hives, because it's not very itchy. It does feel almost like a bruise when you touch it. Lovely.

So today, Monday, I went back in to the doctor to find out what was up. I'm thinking shingles, lupus (too much internet...I DID have all the symptoms for lupus except the butterfly rash...just goes to show you can't jump to conclusions!!) So he looks at me and says, "This isn't a typical reaction to antibiotics." I say, "I'm not your typical girl!" So he checks me all out and concludes that this is a serum reaction (serum in something in your blood) similar to vasculitis. I'm like, um HUH? And I'm pretty fluent in medical-ese since I am a professional medical patient!

Then he said it was an immunological response to the antibiotic. That I got. If I didn't have MG, I probably wouldn't have had the reaction. So because the antibiotic will be in my system for at least another 4 days, it might get worse before it gets better; or at least "linger." Nice.

Anywho...on another note....two "firsts" for Jacob tonight, within about 2 minutes of each other. After his bath we were getting our jammies on, and Doug sneezed in the bathroom. Jacob yells, "Bless you Daddy!" Never said that was precious.

Then as he was launching himself off the changing table at me to give me a "big hug" he ripped my trach out. Not so precious.

I knew it would happen eventually. I had just taken it out and cleaned it, and thankfully I caught it so I didn't have to clean it all over again. Just popped it back in....well, mostly : )

Oh the joys of life!!

P.S. I will NEVER get another flu shot as long as I live!!

1 comment:

Joanna said...

EEKK! He ripped it out?? Oh dear. Glad you caught it and I hope it didn't cause damage.

Shots are the devil and that's all I'm saying.

I thought it was cute when he kept asking for some water. I can just imagine the cuteness going up a notch to hear him say that.

Hope you're feeling better.