Sunday, February 13, 2011

Epic Fail

SO I asked my husband if he wanted to go for a drive since it's like 40, and it's been like NEGATIVE 10 for the last week. He says, "Why do you always want to go for a drive? [the last time we went for a drive was about 3 or 4 months ago to look at the colors on the trees] OLD people go for drives."

As understanding as he is [most of the time], when he says stuff like that I want to SLAP him. Why would I want to go for a drive on a beautiful, sunny, WARM February day? Maybe because I haven't been out of the house forever? Maybe because I can go outside without my lungs bleeding from the frigid air? Maybe because we would be spending time together as a family? Maybe because I'm sick of smelling paint? Maybe because I can't do anything else?

So I decide I'll go by myself. He was going to take Jacob outside and spray our fruit trees, which are behind the barn, which I can't walk to. So I would be stuck in the house, again, alone, with no energy to do anything.

I asked Doug to get the van out of the garage for me, because I can't lift the door. I get dressed, and am exhausted. Have to rest for a while. Too stubborn to admit I can't drive, ESPECIALLY after Doug says, "I thought you were leaving." Arrrgghh.

So I go. Right away I know I'm not going far. My arms are too weak to hold the wheel on our sh!tty bumpy country roads. So I drive around the block and come home. Granted, it's a country block, so it took ten minutes, but still. I'm just pissed. I hate this stupid disease.

5 comments:

Pitterle Postings said...

Kerri, I am so sorry that you are feeling bad today, and I am sorry that your husband could not understand your need to get out of the house. Sometimes, they get so focused on the things that need doing, that they don't understand there might be other things just as important. I am so sorry that you did not get to enjoy your day. Hopefully, the weather will stay nice for awhile and you can talk him into a road trip next weekend. Plan it, make a picnic out of it, and go as long as the weather is good.

Cindy in NC said...

Ah Kerri, I so feel your pain...my husband doesn't understand how frustrating those comments can be. How easy it is for those who HAVE choices; to quickly forget that sometimes we don't have those same options. There are times my own arms are to weak to hold them up to dry my hair...so not wanting to go out looking like the wicked witch of the East, I opt for staying home, and reading a book...but wait...my eyes are acting up, double vision and such, so that's out...ok, then, I think I would like to cross stitch; which I adore....after attempting to thread the needle and causing blood drops on my nice crisp linen fabric, I stop...finally, after having a good self-pitying cry, further screwing up my vision for the balance of my Sunday afternoon, I give up on the thought of making it to church tonight...so, here I am...reading your blog...realizing that I am not alone...there really is someone out there who feels my pain...and just so you know...I feel yours too.
~~Hugs~~Cindy in NC

Cindy in NC said...

Kerri, email me if you need to vent...I am always online...Love to you. Cindy In NC (who also has MG)

CoconutPalmDesigns said...

I'm sorry your husband made such a crappy comment and that your drive didn't turn out how you wanted it to. If it makes you feel any better I love going for drives too and I am younger than you are. They aren't just for old people!

Cheers :-)
- CoconutPalmDesigns

Rachel said...

Days like that can be so frustrating!

It's not just the disease, it's our own stubbornness that also gets the best of us sometimes! We want to be able to do things on the fly. But, we both know how much planning goes into our daily routine. Yes, MG STINKS....

The weather is going to be warmer for the next few days, find a nice place to sit outside with a book or some nice music, let Jacob run around and have a good time.

Love Changes Everything by Micah Berteau - A Book Review

If you're not familiar with the story of Hosea and Gomer in the Bible, it's really quite shocking.  Here's my brief synopsis...