Friday, September 18, 2009

A Few Thoughts for the End of II Week

Well, first, let me just say how timely it was when I went to the grocery store yesterday afternoon. I FINALLY got someone from U of M to call me back and call in some different pain medication. So I go to the store, park in handicapped, start limping in to get my medication and a couple of other things. I'm just thrilled that I can go to the store, alone! Even though I'm in pain, my MG is ALMOST behaving itself (thank the Lord!). The amount of times that I have been able to go anywhere (shopping) alone since Jacob has been born is about....3 or 4, maybe. So I'm thinking this is awesome. I even used the self-check out!

So I'm on my way out, feeling a little tired, but mostly just in pain from my hips. I put my 3 little bags in the car, turn to get in, and notice this bleach-blonde, itty-bitty, overly-spunky soccer mom craning her neck to glare at me as she's pushing her 1525 pound cart to her mini-van. I felt like running her over, to be completely frank. I felt like driving over to her car and giving her the lecture of her life. Just because I'm not in a wheelchair or blind or have a helper-dog or whatever doesn't mean there's nothing wrong with me. I could just SEE what she was thinking. Pain makes me very cranky, and I had just about had it. It took FOUR DAYS to get different pain meds that would hopefully work, and this woman looked at me and judged me in about 5 seconds. So to you, missy: May the fleas of a thousand camels infest your armpits, and may you never experience half of what I've been through. You obviously couldn't handle it.

I want to say a GINORMOUS thank you to Lisa Copen, founder of Rest Ministries and National Invisible Illness Awareness week. Despite living with horribly painful arthritis and not even being able to type with all 10 digits, Lisa has done incredible work to advance awareness, tolerance, and education about invisible and chronic illness. May God continue to bless the work of your hands, Lisa. You are AWESOME.

3 comments:

Leigh @ intentslife said...

I'm glad you were able to get out and I'm praying the new meds give you some reliefF! What an awesome job you've done increasing our awareness of those who struggle with ongoing illnesses.

I love you and am very relieved you allowed the perky soccer mom to live to see another day! :)

Mark's aunt yelled at a woman one time about unnecessarily parking in a handidcapped spot and the story goes that the lady turned and popped her glass eye out much to his aunt's shock and horror. Thought you might get a kick out of that one. :D

Kerri said...

HILARIOUS!!! I don't have anything I can pop out, but I would honestly rather have someone SAY something than just stare like that. Arg.

Young Wife said...

So glad you've gotten some relief. I still say we should hand out pamphlets on Invisible Illness to people like that.

Love Changes Everything by Micah Berteau - A Book Review

If you're not familiar with the story of Hosea and Gomer in the Bible, it's really quite shocking.  Here's my brief synopsis...