Tuesday, September 29, 2009

If You Will Only Ask

I just HAD to share this with you all.

I have recently re-connected with a dear friend from college, Tracy. She lives in Florida, and is a teacher. We had all the same education classes together in college. AND, she gave me one of the best recipes I've ever had, one I still use to this day!!! Anywho....

God had recently called Tracy to move out of her sister's house, away from her familiar home neighborhood of St. Pete and move up to Apopka. She got a new teaching job about 2 weeks before school started, and had to move all her things, find a place to live, set up a classroom, all in 2 weeks. Now, if I may say, Tracy is a bit like me....not so crazy about change. For those of you who know me well, imagine if I said "God is leading me to move, and I'm leaving everything familiar to go to the unknown because I know God has plans for me there." YAH. I mean, yes, if God calls, you go, but it was not exactly in her comfort zone!

SO...Tracy's job depends a LOT on her use of a computer. One that the school does NOT provide. Tracy has had computer issues, and had had a friend who fixed it for her. Well, this friend (male) recently became a source of...(well, let's just say he was acting very maturely), so Tracy no longer felt comfortable bringing her computer to him when it failed.

It failed. Completely froze. Wouldn't boot up. She HAD to have a computer. She e-mailed me and told me she needed a miracle, and fast, or her job could literally be in danger. I do not normally pray like this, (But I sure am going to start!) I'm not normally so bold, but it IS easier to ask for others...(shouldn't be, but it can be!) This is what I wrote to her:

"Lord, you tell us in your Word that we have not because we ask not. And we don't receive because we don't believe You will give us what we need. Well, I'm asking on Tracy's behalf that You will provide her a new computer. One that is reliable and that she can use for her schoolwork and keeping in touch with her friends and family.

She needs this Lord, so we're asking. And we're believing that you will meet her needs. Your word also tells us that You will meet all our needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus. (Phil 4:19). So we are asking you to meet Tracy's need for a computer.

"Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen." Eph 3:20-21

I am expecting good things for you, woman! Let me know!Love ya"

Well, THAT VERY NIGHT, this was her reply:

Thank you thank you thank you!!!

It was kind of amazing and no doubt God. After school I came home and had a message to call my dad immediately. I called him. He told me to find the closest Best Buy and see the Geek Squad. He would pay for it and if need be, buy me a new laptop.

Oh my gosh - Kerri, I couldn't stop crying!!! My father NEVER does this sort of thing. All through college I never got one care pkg. He did buy my winter clothing and some things, but not just "I'm thinking about you" sort of stuff. It's still been that way over the years. I mean a couple years back he decided one Christmas that he thought it was better not to exchange gifts. That hurt. and with all this moving, he's been kinda quiet - not real talkative about it. I couldn't tell what he was thinking.

Anyways...so I go to Best Buy and of course (just like a car) the computer boots up perfectly as if nothing was ever wrong. The guy ran a few diagnostics. Bottom line, it could have been a fluke or it could be my hard drive going bad. In the meantime I brought it home and it continued to keep working.

My dad and I talked again and he reaffirmed that he wants me to call him the minute something goes wrong with it. He doesn't want me losing my job because I can't get my work done.

Anyways...it's been a blessing to see God's hand at work tonight in ways that I wouldn't have dreamed of. God figuring things out is always better and I'm learning to let go and believe that He'll care for me. It's not easy!

SO.....Let me encourage you today to do two things: When you pray, be bold! We can go before God with confidence! And remember that you can pray for yourself the same way you pray for others! And secondly, BELIEVE that God hears, AND answers. You may not always get the answer you want immediately, but you might. You never know...until you ask.

2 comments:

Joanna said...

That is way cool!

Young Wife said...

God is good! It's amazing that he cares about even the "small" everyday stuff. And what a wonderful opportunity for your friend to develop a deeper relationship with her father.

Love Changes Everything by Micah Berteau - A Book Review

If you're not familiar with the story of Hosea and Gomer in the Bible, it's really quite shocking.  Here's my brief synopsis...