Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Empowering People With Disabilities

For some reason I've always had an issue with the word "empower." Somehow it has a negative connotation for me. As if we are assuming that the whom or what we are trying to "empower" has no power at all to begin with. I guess that's neither here nor there.

What I want to tell you about is the button on the top of my blog. Blogger Unite: This week is to empower people with disabilities. Bring attention to them. Bring the issue to the forefront. Clicking on the button will take you to the bloogersunite website. It's pretty cool.

This issue is close to my heart for obvious reasons. I consider myself disabled in certain ways, I suppose, (But I'm not one of these "I'm not handicapped, I'm handi-capable!...if you are, good for you.) I can't work. I would be hard pressed to live alone with or without my son. Ha. Try getting my son away from me....Ain't happenin'! But my brain and my heart are the same, and I lie to be treated with dignity and respect, not pity. Compassion is fine. Sympathy is not.

But there are many ways in which I don't FEEL disabled. I can still be a wife and mom. Maybe not to the extent someone else can be, but is that a disability? I can still use my mind, thank the Lord. I still have a heart of compassion for people, even more so since being sick. There is SO MUCH MORE to people with disabilities than their disability! We are NOT our illnesses!

So if you could, hop on over to the bloggersunite site by clicking the button on the top right of my blog. I found this organization when they were asking people to donate and blog for Haiti after that horrible earthquake. There are many good things they do, and one is sure to strike a chord in you.

So this Saturday, please check back for my post about empowering people with disabilities. I'm sure there will be many, many more folks doing this...maybe even you!

Now it's off to run errands, hopefully before it hits 90 degrees and 90 % humidity...again. Thankfully Joanna is going with me a little later in case I crash (from the MG, NOT the car!)
Be blessed today, guys. Thanks for reading.

3 comments:

Margaret said...

I loved this post so much. You wrote about how I feel and how I wish people would see me. Thanks for writing this I am off to check out the site!

CoconutPalmDesigns said...

Great post!

You said on one of my posts, "Jesus himself said that 'Love covers a multitude of sins.'" I wanted to thank you for that. It's really helped me. :-)

Cheers :-)
- Rainforest Mommy

Hannah said...

I enjoyed your blog and can relate to you as I have M.S. When I was growing up my Dad always said, "Everything works out for the best". Although that isn't realistic, I did learn to try and make the best of everything.

www.FunnyPhotosContest.com. Submit CUTE or FUNNY photos and tell friends to vote. $2,000 in prizes. No entry fee.

Love Changes Everything by Micah Berteau - A Book Review

If you're not familiar with the story of Hosea and Gomer in the Bible, it's really quite shocking.  Here's my brief synopsis...