Monday, June 7, 2010

His Eye Is On The Swallow!

Yes, I know the song is His Eye Is On The Sparrow, but you'll know why I wrote that in a sec. I had a frustrating weekend. So much so that I didn't even blog because all I could think of was negative, whiny, complaining, poor-me posts, so I just didn't bother.

Then, yesterday afternoon, the most amazing thing happened. We have barn swallows that come back every year. They are amazing. I love them. I love watching them swoop up and down...they fly SO fast! I remember when my brother was here a year ago he was trying to catch a picture of one with his superfast camera...and really couldn't catch them.

I have seen them through bonioculars when they land on the telephone wires, and they are stunning. They have so many colors, but you don't notice that because they fly so fast.

So yesterday I was outside with Jacob and Doug, and Jacob says, "Mom! There's a bird on the trailer!" Im thinking, great another dead robin the dogs brought to me as a "gift." So I walked over the the flatbed trailer, and right there in the middle was a swallow!
It was amazing. It just sat there and let me take pictures (with my phone, and it was so bright I couldn't see the screen, so I'm really thankful the pics turned out!). I was trying to see what was wrong with it, but it looked fine. I thought there would be no way for me to pick it up since they are so fast, but.....

Oh my gosh. What an amazing thing. It was so light and tiny and fragile...Jacob wanted to hold it and I was like, um, I don't think so bud! I checked the wings, and they seemed fine...so I asked Doug what he thought. He figured it ran into the side of the barn and was just dazed. I hoped so, because even though there are tons of them, I really didn't want this one to die.

Then it wouldn't let go! I tried to put it in the bed of our pickup truck so it wouldn't get eaten by anything, at least until it recovered! But it clung to my hand, it's tiny talons digging into my hand. They were so tiny and delicate, though, that I couldn't barely feel it. Finally, after about 5 minutes of holding and petting this bird, it flew off. Seemed normal. But what an experience.

It helped my mood, for sure. Made me focus on something other than myself and my problems.

I thought of how I had never had a bird for pet, I had never held a bird, I had never really had any desire to, I just thought it was pretty. And yet when I thought it was hurt, my heart was about breaking because I was helpless to do anything.

That makes me think of how God must feel when I'm hurting. He's certainly not helpless, but especially when we are in a tight spot or are hurting because of our own poor choices, He's not going to bail us out. Now I'm certainly not saying that my disease or my health is a choice, but other things are. My attitude. Feeling sorry for myself. Being crabby towards my husband and child.

So God's eye is on the swallow...and I know He watches ME. Please read these beautiful words.

Why should I feel discouraged
and why should the shadows come?
Why should my heart feel lonely
and long for heaven and home?
When Jesus is my portion,
a constant friend is He,
His eye is on the sparrow
and I know He watches over me.
His eye is on the sparrow
and I know He watches over me.

I sing because I'm happy,
I sing because I'm free.
His eye is on the sparrow,
and I know He watches me.

"Let not your heart be troubled,"
his tender word I hear,
and resting on his goodness,
I lose my doubts and fears;
though by the path he leadeth
but one step I may see:
His eye is on the sparrow,
and I know he watches me.

I sing because I'm happy,
I sing because I'm free.
His eye is on the sparrow,
and I know He watches me.

Whenever I am tempted,
whenever clouds arise,
when song gives place to sighing,
when hope within me dies;
I draw the closer to him,
from care he sets me free:
His eye is on the sparrow,
and I know he watches me.

I sing because I'm happy,
I sing because I'm free.
His eye is on the sparrow,
and I know He watches me.

-Mrs. C.D. Martin

Photobucket

3 comments:

Margaret said...

That is amazing! Thank you for posting this. I needed to read it today!

Karen Mortensen said...

Amazing. The bird and your thoughts. Thank you so much.

Young Wife said...

What a wonderful experience!

Love Changes Everything by Micah Berteau - A Book Review

If you're not familiar with the story of Hosea and Gomer in the Bible, it's really quite shocking.  Here's my brief synopsis...