Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Ode to my 40th Birthday

Ode To My 40th Birthday

When I was a child
I had it in my head,
That if I reached FORTY,
I'd be SO old, maybe dead!

Surely I'd be wrinkled,
Gray-headed and decrepit.
One foot half-way in the grave,
And a preacher at the pulpit.

So imagine my vexation
When I woke up on this day,
To find that I am still alive!
"Oh JOY and happiness!" I say.

Now as I aged and time went by,
The 40 -mark had neared.
And the closer that mark came to me,
"Old at 40" disappeared!

Although sometimes I feel my age,
Many times I DO feel older!
Of course I don't LOOK that old,
(I say over my shoulder).

But truth be told I do feel blessed
To have as many years
As I have had in this ol' life,
With its trials, joys and fears.

I have traveled some, though not enough;
I have loved and lost and grieved.
I have accomplished many things
But have more tricks up my sleeve!

So Happy Birthday, self, I say,
And go out on the town.
Just make sure you have your cane
Lest you fall and dent your crown!

6 comments:

Karen Mortensen said...

That was cute. Happy Birthday.

Joanna said...

Happy Birthday!!

Rachel said...

Wishing you the happiest of birthdays :o)

Renee said...

Love it! Happy Birthday!

CoconutPalmDesigns said...

Happy Birthday!!!!

Cheers :-)
- CoconutPalmDesigns

Pitterle Postings said...

That was funny!! Thanks for sharing and have a wonderful birthday!! You totally deserve it.

Love Changes Everything by Micah Berteau - A Book Review

If you're not familiar with the story of Hosea and Gomer in the Bible, it's really quite shocking.  Here's my brief synopsis...