Saturday, January 1, 2011

What's A Resolution?

Resolution: (n) 1. declaration, decree, proclamation
2. determination, decision, purpose
3. steadfastness, fortitude
4. solution, answer, reason



So what will 2011 hold for me?


I don't really believe in "New Year's" resolutions, but I love the word "resolve."


Resolve: (v) 1. fix, decide, set one's heart on, insist upon
2. calculate, design, intend, pursue, plan
3. dissect, analyze
4. transform
5. figure out, realize
6. remove all doubts
7. compose, mend, heal
8. declare, decree, choose to

What I love about resolve versus resolution is that resolve is a VERB. It's an action. This year, I don't want to be a noun. I don't want to be passive and let things happen. I want to be a verb.

Even when I'm physically unable "to be"......I AM.

I am strong.
I am blessed.
I am loved.

6 comments:

Karen Mortensen said...

Love you perspecive on this. Very good.

Pitterle Postings said...

Somewhere I was reading a thought that we should not do "resolutions". That those set us up for failure. We should think and decide on one word that we work on throughout the year. I like your word. Mine is "Release". I need to de-stress my life and let go of some things. So, I decided on that action word for myself. I think having an action word instead of a bunch of nouns is a great way to change in the New Year.

Kate Pantier @ Mommy Monologues said...

I love the way you approached this!

I am the same way about resolutions, though I was never able to put it as wonderfully as you just did. I'm going to quote you on this!

I hope you are feeling better. I've been keeping you in my thoughts and prayers more than daily, multiple times a day!

Renee said...

You chose a great word! If I chose a word, I think it would be "remember" . . . as in remember why you do what you do and take more joy in it. Blessings!

Donna Perugini said...

I love it when people bring the meaning of a word out. Nice one, Kerri!

Rachel said...

Very well put Kerri, I never make resolutions, that way if it's not kept I won't be disappointed in myself.

I like the idea of a yearly word, I've chosen STRENGTH as mine. There are many things going on in my life, as I'm sure there are for all. I need to work on ways to find the strength to manage the bad along with the good better than I have in the past.

As always, you are in my thoughts and prayers....

Love Changes Everything by Micah Berteau - A Book Review

If you're not familiar with the story of Hosea and Gomer in the Bible, it's really quite shocking.  Here's my brief synopsis...