Thursday, August 9, 2012

My Favorite Olympic Moment

http://www.mamakatslosinit.com
I'm hookin' up with Mama Kat's pretty much world famous writer's workshop today....Because I could NOT let the opportunity pass.  One of the prompts asked about our favorite moment of the Olympics so far.

Hands down, it was when I first saw Oscar Pistorius from South Africa.

This man was born with a defective gene that forced him to be a double amputee.  I'm not sure exactly how much of "his" leg he has, but that's not the point.  This man, who does not have "normal," working legs, ran the 400m sprint against able bodied men who have been training all their lives for this one moment.  Oscar had to get special permission from the Olympic Committee just to get IN the qualifiers.  And he did.  And he made it to the semi-finals.  That was his goal, and he made it.

And as a human being, this picture sums up what he is made of.  The man has character in spades.  He is AMAZING.

So let me encourage you, as Oscar Pistorius has encouraged me.  I have Myasthenia Gravis.  There are many limitations that come with that disease.  There are many things that I cannot do.

But there are many things I CAN do.  And this man, this hero, reminded me that "normal" is just a word.  It means NOTHING.  Nada.  Zip.  Zilch.

Be who YOU are.  Be the BEST YOU you can be.  Don't let limitations stop you.  There are people sicker than me, healthier than me, poorer than me, richer than me, skinnier than me, heavier than me... The list can go on and on.  My point is that NONE of that matters.  You are YOU.  And that's exactly who you are supposed to be.

That is who God intended you to be.  So we need to stop making excuses and be the BEST we can be.  Thank you Oscar, for showing the world your courage, your skill, and your character.  You are the stuff that heroes are made of.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What a great post. I didn't get to see him run in the Olympics, but he is a great inspiration to others.

Anonymous said...

I so love this post. I am so proud of my compatriot - he inspires so many people, including me! And then people say he has an unfair advantage - ugh!

Love Changes Everything by Micah Berteau - A Book Review

If you're not familiar with the story of Hosea and Gomer in the Bible, it's really quite shocking.  Here's my brief synopsis...