Sunday, August 26, 2012

Twelve Years

Today is my 12th wedding anniversary.  I should say marriage anniversary, because yesterday was my 11 year WEDDING annivesary.  See, I married Doug twice.  We got married on August 26, 2000, 12 days after I had to quit my job because I was too sick to work anymore.  Our ORIGINAL wedding date was February 10, 2001, but for financial reasons, and because we KNEW we were ready, we decided to make it legal sooner.

We called our pastor at the time, a couple of friends, and my mom and dad, and went to the church on that Saturday morning to get hitched.  I remember Doug had to put my hair up because I couldn't hold my arms up.  It was a brief, legal ceremony, and then we went out to lunch.

In September I had lots of tests, and went on oxygen 24/7.  On October 13, 2000, 47 days after Doug and I said "I do," I went into the hospital for an MRI and quit breathing.  On October 17, four days later, I was in a helicopter, intubated, sedated, and on my way to the U of M so they could try to save my life.

Needless to say our original wedding date in February wasn't going to happen.  I remember being in the hospital writing notes to my mom about the wedding...when I was coherent, that's all I could think about.  Everything was planned....

Then MG came and ruined everything.  Except my marriage.

Who would stay with someone who went into the hospital 47 days after they got married to a woman who was now on a vent, not knowing if she would live or die, or even be a vegetable?  Who stays through that? 

Doug did.

Who drives to a hospital 150 miles away every 5 days, (and we had a HORRIBLE winter that year...SO much snow) sleeping in the hospital hotel 3 nights, just to sit by a woman he just married, who didn't even know he was there part of the time?  Who does that?

Doug did.

Who stays with a brand-new wife when she's sleeping on a hospital bed in the living room of their home, and sleeps on the couch to suction her trach during the night because she can't do it for herself?  Who does that, for SIX MONTHS?

Doug did.

Who stays in a marriage when there haven't yet been any "honeymoon" times, or fun celebrations, or spontaneous trips because his wife is too sick to do any of those things?  Who does that?  Who picks a Saturday in August, one day before our first anniversary, to have the big wedding his wife always wanted?  Who?

Doug did.

Who has stayed in sickness and in health, for richer or poorer, MG or not, through weight gain and mood swings, anxiety attacks and irrational behavior?  Who chose to honor his vows when it would have been so much easier to walk away, saying, "I didn't sign up for this!"

Who chose to stay?

Doug did.

And I thank God EVERY day that he did.  My husband is an amazing man.  Part MacGuyver, part Daniel Boone, ALL love. REAL love.  Dedication.  Commitment.  Responsibility.  Faithfulness. Love walked through every day.

My husband has done more for me in the last 12 years than anyone I know could have.  Sure we have our ups and downs, but I would be lost without him.  He IS love in action. 

So Happy 12th Anniversary my dear husband.  You are the backbone of my life.  I couldn't do this without you.  And I'm so thankful I've never had to.  I love you more today than yesterday, but not as much as I'll love you tomorrow.




1 comment:

CoconutPalmDesigns said...

Happy Wedding Anniversary!

Cheers :-)
Joanne

Love Changes Everything by Micah Berteau - A Book Review

If you're not familiar with the story of Hosea and Gomer in the Bible, it's really quite shocking.  Here's my brief synopsis...