Saturday, April 11, 2009

Another Lovely Trip to Needle-land

Okay, so someone who doesn't know me would probably look at me today and think, now THERE'S a brand new I-don't-know-how-to-shoot-up-yet junkie. Why, you ask?

Well, pheresis went not-so-hot yesterday. (I remained completely calm, remarkably.) I know lots of people were praying for me, and that was a VERY good thing, because there's no other reason I did NOT flip out. I've had this procedure 100's of times, but I still hate needles and I still hate having it done.

Okay, the nurse (one I like very much and is very good) got the draw needle in. (This is the short needle about the width of a fork tine that draws the blood out and into the pheresis machine). Not so much fun, but it only hurts for a few minutes. Then, they do the return line (where the new plasma mixed with my blood goes back in), which is a bit smaller needle, but much longer (owie). She puts it in the normal vein they use, and after about 2 minutes I was like stamping my feet and "pptting" my mouth (those of you who know me have heard me do that), and thank God they stopped it right away. So that vein was blown.

Nice. So she said, what vein so they use secondarily? I'm like, the one in the crook of my elbow, but it's crooked, so it's tough to get in. Plus she's a lefty, so it's even harder. She didn't think that one would work. So she tried one on the outside of my arm, about an inch above my wrist bone. Got it in (again, HOLY OWIE BATMAN!) and this one IMMEDIATELY hurt. And I mean HURT! So I'm like, exactly what happens that I feel such pain? And she said, well, the needle must have gone through the vein, and the saline is going directly into your subcuateous tissue. In English, it's basically going into a space where there is no space and fluid builds up and causes intense pressure. So I have a huge bruise there. And another needle mark.

Finally, she said, I'm confident I can get it in the back of your hand, but we'll have to use a smaller needle, and you'll run slower. (I was feeling kind of bad for her, because she looked like she was on the verge of panic, and like I was either going to crash or hit her...I was really okay).
So she finally gets the one in my hand, and both arms hurt for pretty much the whole time, which took about 30 minutes longer than normal. (Which after they've pumped you full of saline trying to get the needles right seems like an eternity!!) Oh well. All of my treatments usually go so well that once in a while we have to have a bummer treatment to even it out, I suppose.

Oh, and I talked to Dr. Cooling, and she said though I am still slightly anemic, my blood counts were better than they were in October, and even though the red blood cells are small, they are getting bigger. So I was like, cool...no extra treamtment (like blood transfusion) needed.

On the way home I had a horrible pain attack (in my abdomen) about an hour from home, but it was gone by the time we got home. I am confident that was the last one, and that I will have NO side effects from the Fosamax tomorrow so I will be able to go to services tonight (I'm so excited!!) and to Easter with my family tomorrow.

Everyone have a blessed Easter....and please remember that Jesus died and rose again, for YOU.

"Surely He took up our infimities and carried our sorrows, yet we condsidered Him stricken by God, smitten by Him and afflicted. But He was pierced for OUR transgressions, He was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon HIM, and by His wounds we are healed. We ALL, like sheep, have gone astray, each of us has turned to his own way; and the Lord has laid on Him the iniquity of us all. He was oppressed and afflicted, yet He did not open his mouth, He was led like a lamb to slaughter and as a sheep before her shearers is silent, so He did not open His mouth." Isaiah 53

"The women....found the stone rolled away from the tomb, but when they entered, they did not find the body of the Lord Jesus. While they were wondering about this, suddenly two men in clothes that gleamed like lightning stood beside them. In their fright the women bowed with their faces to the ground, but the men said to them, 'Why do you look for the Living among the dead? He is not here; HE HAS RISEN!'" Luke 24

Hallelujah! He is RISEN indeed!

No comments:

Love Changes Everything by Micah Berteau - A Book Review

If you're not familiar with the story of Hosea and Gomer in the Bible, it's really quite shocking.  Here's my brief synopsis...