Saturday, October 17, 2009

20 Years

Wow. Tonight is my 20th high school reunion. TWENTY years. I was 18. That was SO long ago! Some of the things that have happened to me in 20 years:

I graduated college. (I was a nanny for a year, at home, during college, and finished in a year and a half, so I really went to college in 3 1/2 years.)

I had 3 different jobs between college and getting sick: substitute teacher, cashier at Office Depot, and Towne Air Freight.

I tried to go back to work once after I was sick, couldn't do it.

I went to St. Louis to see the arch. VERY cool.

I went to Niagra Falls.

I went to California, twice.

I used to go to Chicago all the time for the weekend.

I met my best friend ever.

I lost my best friend ever to cancer 12 years later.

I had my tonsils out (at 25).

I started having MG symptoms 6 months later, (July 1995) but went undiagnosed until I was hospitalized, half-dead, in 2000.

I've had almost 200 plasmapheresis treatments!

NOT including pheresis days, I've spent about 100 days in the hospital.

I met my amazing husband (after meeting many bozos).

I got married...twice...to the same man. ; )

I have been to the Wisconsin Dells (first time ever!).

I went to the Mall of America, twice.

I went to New Jersey.

I went to Copper Harbor (on the hottest day ever recorded there, 105 degrees! I hate HOT WEATHER!!!)

Doug and I used to go to Escanaba (ya, in da U.P., eh?) three times a year for a week.

I've been on the best vacation ever: drove across the country, through 11 states, staying in Colorado for 5 days, on to the Grand Canyon, back home on Route 66. Awesome. (But Amarillo is VERY stinky. Lots of cattle!!)

I had an amazing child.

I've had 3 dogs, 2 I still have, one we had to put down. : (

I've had a trach for 9 of those 20 years.

I've grown so much closer to God through my trials, and I wouldn't change anything I've been through. It's what got me where I am now, and I like me a lot better now than 20 years ago!

I've have met people I've loved, and people that I have not...I have been wounded in some ways, and made whole in other ways. I have loved and I have lost. I have gained and I have expended. I have laughed...and I have cried...oh, how I have cried. But is all comes down to this: I KNOW that my Redeemer lives, and THAT, my friends, is TRULY all that matters. This life is so fleeting, so fraught with trouble...but on the other side, no more tears. No pain. No anger. No hurt. No night. Hallelujah.

"We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed."
2 Corinthians 4:8-10 (NIV)

1 comment:

J.E. and Christine said...

AMEN! my Husband went to his 20 year reunion last night. He said it was like the twilight zone. Crazy night!

Be Blessed!

Love Changes Everything by Micah Berteau - A Book Review

If you're not familiar with the story of Hosea and Gomer in the Bible, it's really quite shocking.  Here's my brief synopsis...