Thursday, January 19, 2012

The Week From The Pit

Okay. 

So Sunday was okay.  It was mostly fun.  Just really, really, busy.  Went with my mom and dad to get them a new computer and therefore assisted them in joining the 21st century! Whoo-Hoo!!!  Then it was hooking it up, (Thank you Doug) and downloading and uploading and sideloading (hey, don't want to leave anyone out)...

Then lessons.  Oh, and lunch in between at Steak and Shake, which Jacob loves, everyone else likes, and by everyone, I mean EVERYONE.  Oh my gravy.  There were SO many people there.  Screaming kids, whiny adults, weak and hungry normal people (that would be us).  Well, kids eat free on weekends.  Ah.  Note to self:  being in a room with that many people, unruly children (and therefore redundantly, germs), ridiculously inept parents and a bunch of hungry people is NOT worth a free, otherwise overpriced, grilled cheese and juice box.

So we move on to Monday.  Just felt like crap.  It's time for pheresis, and the day before just knocked me out.  Very long day.  Very long.

Tuesday AM started out better.  Started.  Until I clean my trach.  It had been hurting for a couple of days, and sometimes it's just an irritation that goes away, and other times it means I have to change trachs. (I have 2).  Sometimes just taking the one I have in out, washing it and putting it back in does the trick.  (I always get two of the same exact thing, but one is always more comfortable.  Don't ask.  I don't know).

So I take this one out, and put it the other one, and all h$ll breaks loose.  Or, specifically, a gigantic granuloma breaks lose.  So what is a granuloma?  "A granuloma is a benign growth that results from irritation or trauma." www.voicemedicine.com


So.  I have several granulomas around my trach, and they will never completely go away.  Why?


"Simply removing the granuloma surgically without correcting the irritation that caused it will result in regrowth in the overwhelming majority of cases. In fact, treating the underlying irritation properly generally makes surgery unnecessary, as the granuloma will recede by itself."  www.voicemedicine.com 

And since my trach is the underlying problem of the irritation, and I have to breathe.....well, you get the picture.       

So Tuesday a part of a giant granuloma broke loose from its base, and decided to occlude about 1/3 of my airway.  Now, when you already have about 60% lung function on your best day, a 33% occlusion of your only airway is NOT a good thing.  I tried to stay calm, as freaking out would only make breathing more difficult.  I immediately jumped on facebook and asked for prayer, because I KNEW I could not do this alone.

I ended up going to the ER at Metro, because neither Allegan nor St. Mary's in Grand Rapids have an in-house ENT.  I don't have a babysitter, so my sister (THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU) went to my parents house to watch Jacob (I didn't even know at the time they had a dr. appt.)  So we head north, 45 minutes to my folks', and head to Metro.  I have to say, they are efficient!  I was being brought to a room before Doug even got in from parking the car!  There were NO other patients waiting, which is why...)

So the ENT comes down, and after much debate, I take the trach out, and she starts burning off the offending part of the granuloma with silver nitrate.  Anyone who tells you that granuloma tissue has no feeling, or that silver nitrate doesn't hurt, LIES.

I have used silver nitrate before on the outside of my stoma (the whole in my neck) but NEVER on the INSIDE.  Good Lord in Heaven, now I know why.  So here I lay, on this gurney, half sitting up because I can't lay flat, and this woman is burning flesh out of my only breathing source.  No anesthesia, no numbing anything, no painkillers.  Just Git-r-done.

THEN I had to shove my trach back into this pain filled burned and bleeding cavity while 17 people and their brothers watch. And I had no mirror. It's very difficult to override your brain, (which is made to alert you to AVOID pain) and cause yourself pain on purpose.

It's like those old cartoons with the angel/devil on the shoulders:
Brain: NO!!  Stop!  This hurts!  No pain!  That's what I'm telling you!!
Hand:  Shove it in, you need to breathe!
Brain:  No!  I won't let you!
Hand:  I will be victorious {insert evil laugh, cuz I can't right now}

Anyway, you get the idea.  Finally get it in, and the first thing I say is "PAIN!"  Then comes the morphine, and I forgive everyone in the room.  Even my brain and hand.

So the beautiful thing about silver nitrate is that is keeps working.  So today, I still feel the effects of the silver (even though they "neutralized it" with saline...)  mmm-hm.  My stoma feels like someone took a hot curling iron and decided to try to "insert here." OUCH. Now I have to make an appointment with an ENT to have the rest of the granulomas surgically removed. Oh joy, and happiness!

But I can breathe.  So.  It is what it is. (However, the next time I hear someone complain about something compeltely insignificant or just plain stupid like a bad hair day, ya better duck...just sayin'.)

Then comes Wednesday:  Up at 5:20 AM to go to get tortured plasmapheresis.  I have to say, it couldn't have gone smoother, thank you Jesus!!  THEN we got room service for lunch (that was cool) and mine was free! (Well, we all know what free means) and then it was off to the endocrinologist.

From that appointment:  My blood sugar is perfect, don't change a thing. (yay!)  Who is my fibromyalgia doc?  Don't have one.  No one takes it seriously.  So we're working on that...  I asked her about who to see about chronic pain.  She said call your doc and tell him you want to talk about a "pain contract."  That means that I sign something that says they'll give me painkillers if I agree to not sell them or snort them or try to get more from another doc, etc.  
I was like, "Oh, just like the thing I have to sign when I get my allergy medicine that says I won't make meth."

Like if I was some creepy criminally minded drug addict and meth head my signature would be more important to me than my habit. Whatever.  Just another ludicrous example of the society we live in.

So yeah.  Today it's just me and Jacob and three dogs, and I feel like death warmed over from pheresis, and the burning, bleeding trach adds a nice touch as well.

But I'm here.  Tomorrow is day 2 of pheresis, then Tuesday I have to have a tooth rebuilt, and Wednedsay, back to the hospital for pheresis and an appt. with my pulmonologist.

I LOVE being me!!! : )
Thanks for hanging in reading this...I know it was quite long, but as you can see, I haven't had much time to post.




3 comments:

Rachel said...

I was so very tempted to say something witty today, but I can't seem to find the right words!
Hang in there, remember things could always be worse, LOVE YA!

Pam said...

oh my....Keri I am so sorry that you are going thru all of of this, life sure sucks at times that is for sure.
Dear Abba Father, thank you for Keri please protect her and her family from anything else that is not from You, protect Keri from discouragment, frustration, bitterness. Thank you for the help of her parents and sister thier willingness to take care of Jacob. Thank you for the health professionals who take care of her too, please put those in her path who will have wisdom in how to take care of her,
"Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us,to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen." (Ephesisan 3:20-21

Margaret said...

Hang in there! You are stronger than me though because there is no way in hell they would have done any of that to me with out no pain medication

Love Changes Everything by Micah Berteau - A Book Review

If you're not familiar with the story of Hosea and Gomer in the Bible, it's really quite shocking.  Here's my brief synopsis...