Thursday, January 26, 2012

Yesterday...CT Scan

Hey everyone,

Well, I survived the CT.  They had a small wedge for my head, and it helped me feel like I was breathing okay.  The IV went in "like buttah"...no problem.  CT went fine, contrast dye went in fine, but then she asked me to raise my arms and rest them up against the front of the machine.  My right arm just fell right down.  I was like, "well, I can't do that.  My MG won't let me."

  
She was like, okay, no problem, and readjusted my arms.  All of the sudden, it first felt like my IV was snagged on something and started pulling.  Then I had the all-too-familiar horrific feeling of a blown vein, and the saline filling the tissue.  It's EXCRUCIATING.  I started yelling for the tech, who was in the other part of the room....she did NOT get it.  I was run back through the machine AGAIN, and I was still crying and yelling.  She came over: "What's going on?" 

I was like "TAKE IT OUT!!!" and she's like, "Just a minute, let me check your pictures..."  I was like, you can't be serious!! She was the only one there.  I was screaming and crying....it felt like an HOUR but it was probably about a minute or so.  However, if you have ever had this happen, it is horrific pain.  It's like your arm is burning from the inside out, and blowing up.  It was HORRIBLE.

So then some other guy shows up and gets a hot compress for it, after she FINALLY takes it out.  I'm just sobbing at this point...and I have a pretty high pain tolerance.  PLUS I had already taken my pain pill.  My arm was HUGE. Then the radiologist comes in and starts talking to me like 2 inches from my face (I do NOT like close talkers) and telling me "Don't worry, it's not the dye that went into the tissue, it was just saline." A bit patronizing and completely unaware of what the REAL problem was.

He kept saying that... "It was only saline, your body will absorb it."  I was like, Dude, you are SO clueless....JUST SALINE???  It doesn't flippin' matter WHAT it was...the point is it took forEVER for this woman to get this out while I was in unspeakable pain!

So needless to say I was very shook up.

Had to grab lunch (had salad and an ice cream cookie sandwhich!!)  Then to the pulmonologist.  Doc said there was no nodule on the CT that he saw.  WHOO-HOOOO!!  Thank you Jesus!  He said there was DEFINITELY something on the X-ray, but it was not on the CT, from what he could see.  We still have to wait for the radiologist's official report, but I'm 99.9% good about it.

Still coughin' up blood, so if that doesn't stop by the next time I see my pulmonologist, he's going to do a bronchoscopy to see what's going on.

So that's what's up.
THANK you all so much for your prayers!!!

2 comments:

Venessa said...

Oh man, Kerri!! I hate that you had to go through that! I'm sending about a million giant-sized (very, very gentle) "flaky" hugs your way!
Love ya little trach sis!
Suzi

Pitterle Postings said...

Keep me posted Kerri. I really hope you start feeling better soon!!! Remember that you are loved. Lots of hugs and prayers coming your way.

Love Changes Everything by Micah Berteau - A Book Review

If you're not familiar with the story of Hosea and Gomer in the Bible, it's really quite shocking.  Here's my brief synopsis...