Saturday, December 18, 2010

Club Med (As In Hospital)

I'm going to make this as brief as possible, which knowing me will be difficult. This last week I have been way overdoing it making candy and baking goodies....I LOVE this time of year. Jacob too. Well, I totally overdid it. I usually push myself, but this was like, pushing myself right into crisis. It's never happened this fast or dramatically before.

Thursday night, when I got in bed, I couldn't catch my breath. I've had this once in a while, but this was like going on and on. I was "this" close to driving the the ER right then (about midnight). Friday was Doug's work Christmas lunch, and we went. I was on oxygen at that point, and as long as I stayed relatively still it wasn't a big deal.

Then we walked back to the car afterwards, and I was just gasping for air. I was bad enough off to call the neuro and ask how much to increase my prednisone. I would avoid doing this at all costs, unless the only other option was chopping off my own limb...with a dental pick.

Well, they heard me on the phone and sent me to the ER. So we went to Kalamazoo, because there are no neurologists in Allegan. Was in the ER from about 2:15PM (in my party clothes and "thank-you-for-the-country-music-award-hair) until about 5 ish when they told me I was going to be admitted. Against my will if necessary, because I didn't want to be there.

So I stayed, got a room finally at like 8:30. Doug and Jacob had gone to get me some personal stuff, and gotten back right before we went to my room. EVERYONE was just in love with Jacob. He had to 'help" everyone taking care of Mommy. So they finaly left about 10:00 after I was in my room.

I was already feeling significantly better by then, but they had bunches of tests and cultures and all other kinds of stuff to do. So I had 2 ABG's (arterial blood gas) OUCHIE. The first one didnt' work. Had to poke me again. That's a very special kind of pain. Deep. Ouch. Yuck.

Then of course, in the ER they had started an IV. Hate that. In my room they had to draw blood cultures from tow different sites. First one went like nothing. Didn't even notice that it was in. Not so much for the next THREE times she was poking around for a vein. Finally got it.

Then some ding dong came in at 4:00 AM (what the heck I was still awake) to draw for an A1C. I'm like, did you NOT see the GALLON of blood good ol' Florence Nightengale there just tapped off? Sheez.

Anyway, this morning I had pretty much made up my mind that I wasn't staying again. I slept about 2 hours and 45 minutes. I can't do that. All they were waiting on were cultures which wouldn't be done til at least Monday, and I'm like, I'm not just going to sit here and twiddle my thumbs until you can tell me what's up. Sorry. So I was discharged. :)

So please just keep us all in our your prayers. We have to go to Ann Arbor twice now before Christmas, and I was really hoping not to go at all til after. Doug has been fighting this stupid cold for a month now, and is just run down. He had to make extra trips with Jacob to and from the hospital with me...he's worn out.

Oh well. This too shall pass, I suppose. I will post the winner of the giveaway tomorrow morning, if that's okay. I'm pretty pooped. Thank you for your prayers and support!


Patty Ann said...

OH Kerri, I know that this has been rough on you and I am so sorry. I am an EMT, and part of my training to do IV's was to let everyone else stick me. So, I finally (after years and years) have gotten over my fear of getting stuck by IV's. I am still afraid of other things that hurt though! I am so sorry that you had to go through that, but so glad that you are feeling better and are breathing better. Keep telling yourself that the alternative really sucks!! I hope you husband gets some rest and that you continue to feel better. I will keep you in my prayers.

Rachel said...

So sorry to hear you ended up in the hospital! It's never an in and out trip. No matter what you go for it always takes hours, and of course by the time you get admitted you usually feel a little better just from waiting to get to a then all you want to do is go home!

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. Hope your feeling better soon!

*do we get to see your "Thank you for the CMA award hair?)

emilene said...

All the best Kerri - we're thinking of you! xxx

Hello! I'm Kate. said...

Oh Kerri, I'm so sorry. My husband who has watched his mother go through this is very sorry too. This might sound silly seeing as how we've only met through the blogosphere but I got so choked up reading this...I hope you start to feel better and that you survive the stress of the holidays!

Blue&White said...

I pretty much hate Club Med (but that's obvious) - I'm really glad you're outta there! :) Now make Jacob mix the cookie dough and scoop em onto cookie sheets. you can just do the oven part :)

Joanna said...

Oh this is just not cool. What a bunch of poo. Sorry you're getting hit with this during the holidays. :(

Renee Ann said...

It's been a bit crazy here, and I haven't been able to stop in. So I just read this today. I'll be praying for your improvement in time to enjoy Christmas with your little guy!

Karen Mortensen said...

Sorry I haven't been around much to see what is going on with you. Sorry you had to go to the hospital.