Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Holiday MeMe


1. What is your holiday wish for your family?

GOOD HEALTH!!!! I would LOVE it if we could go a whole year with no ER or hospital visits!

2. What is your Christmas morning / Hanukkah Nightly tradition?

Doug and I put the presents under the tree after Jacob goes to bed on Christmas Eve, so when he wakes up Christmas morning his face just lights up. It's pretty cool. We also make a birthday cake for Jesus.

3. If you could ask Santa for one, completely decadent wish for yourself, what would it be?
A super-fast, high falutin' computer that never slowed down, got viruses or crashed. Top of the line!

4. How do you make the holidays special without spending any money?

Well, it costs a little money, but usually we have everything in the house. We make goodies for our friends...candies, Christmas cookies, homemade gifts from Jacob. Those are the best!

5. What games did you play with your family growing up?

New Years Eve was the best. My dad worked two jobs most of my childhood, but on New Year's Eve he would sleep some during the day so we could have special treats at night and play games. Once a year my mom would buy Chicken In A Biscuit crackers, and a cheese ball, other fancy crackers....we children were in heaven! We always played Aggravation. Sometimes we played cards. My siblings and I played on the Atari! Pac-Man, Space Invaders and Asteroids!

6. What holiday tradition have you carried on from your own childhood?

We weren't huge on tradition, per se. Mom put the presents under the tree sometime the week of Christmas, and we would try to guess what they were, of course. We always celebrated on Christmas Eve, at night, and got our stockings Christmas morning. We got to open one present the day before Christmas Eve, which we dubbed "Christmas Adam." Ar ar. Doug and I don't do any of that though. Doug is a "wait for Christmas morning" kind of guy. Ppphtt.

7. Where would you go for a Christmas/Hanukkah-away-from-home trip?

Out West....Colorado, Montana, Wyoming, New Mexico, Arizona. I'll live there someday, hopefully sooner rather than later!

4 comments:

Pitterle Postings said...

I am so with you on the first one. since my daughter got diagnosed with her illness, there is never a day goes by but that we pray for relief for her. I just wish that people (especially the youth) would understand what their cruelty does to someone who is struggling with a difference. Sometimes, it is not the illness that is as much a problem as the people around us that don't really understand. Loved your thoughts today.

Rachel said...

Good health would certainly be on the top of my list. I can hardly remember a time when there wasn't illness in my family. Both my parents struggled with poor health for many years. I also have a niece with multiple disabilities, my health problems are small by comparison.

Ever since I can remember we always made homemade goodies of some sort for friends and neighbors, tons of fudge, dozens & dozens of cookies, you name it we've probably made it.

I couldn't help but laugh when you mentioned Chicken in a Basket crackers, our mom used to buy sociables, and she always let us have Wis-Pride Cheese in a crock!

We had a few traditions, of course there was the cookies & eggnog or milk we left for Santa. We always read the Nativity story and sang Happy Birthday to Baby Jesus before bed. We opened gifts on Christmas day, there was a special peanut butter & jelly sandwich that Santa left in our stockings for us to eat while we opened our gifts, that was on of our favorite parts of the holiday.

Today we still put a coloring book and crayons in every stocking, no matter how old or young, Santa also puts an orange and Walnuts he painted red (I don't know why) in the stocking as well!

I have never thought about being anywhere but home for the holidays, but I would move to any of your choices in a heartbeat!!

CoconutPalmDesigns said...

I love your childhood traditions. We were only allowed to open one of our presents before Christmas once that I can remember. And the only reason we got to that year was the outfits my grandparents had given us were what we were wearing to Midnight Mass.

Cheers :-)
- CoconutPalmDesigns

Renee said...

Love the birthday cake for Jesus idea. And I can relate when it comes to wanting the super-powered computer. Good health would be the wish of many folks that I know. I like Patty Ann's thought: praying for relief for all who suffer with health issues!

Love Changes Everything by Micah Berteau - A Book Review

If you're not familiar with the story of Hosea and Gomer in the Bible, it's really quite shocking.  Here's my brief synopsis...