Monday, December 27, 2010

PPPhhhhttttttt.

Don't even know what else to title this! What a day. I know I'm hard on myself, but it felt like EPIC failure. I'm so exhausted. Today was the first day alone with Jacob since my crisis. I don't know how to do nothing. But if I don't learn real quick, I'm gonna end up in the hospital again, and again, and again.

Then I deal with stuff like this:

I call my primary doc (PCP) to get the blood and sputum culture results from when I was in the hospital 10 days ago. (And after a complete round of the ONE antibiotic I know I can take, so really what's the point in even getting the results??) Anyway, it was like 10:00 this morning.

About 4:15, I decide I'm finally going to get in the shower. Phone rings before I get in. It's my PSP's nurse (She's great, actually.)
Nurse: So I've been going back and forth with Dr. _____ and he doesn't think he can treat you without seeing you, without knowing what's going on. He suggests calling the doctor who treated you.

Me: {wondering what showed up in the tests if he won't "treat" me} I have called Bronson 4 times and have spoken to twice that many people and they keep telling me to call my PCP.

Nurse: Oh, you don't have the results yet?
Me: Oh my GOSH. No.
Nurse: Ooooh.....okay, just a minute.

Comes back after a minute: So who ordered all these tests?
Me: I have no idea. They just did them at the hospital after they admitted me. They poked and prodded and tested all night long. I guess they didn't believe me when I told them it was a myasthenic respiratory crisis.

Nurse: Right. Um....Okay, let me talk to the doc and I'll get back with you today.
Me: Good. Thanks.

So I get in the shower, because it's already 4:30, and who REALLY calls right back?
This nurse.

Nurse: Okay, all the blood cultures show nothing, but the sputum culture shows some kind of staph and Dr. ________ wants to treat you with doxycycline.

Me: Staph? What the..... I've already been treated with a full course of antibiotics, and besides, I can't take doxycycline. So shouldn't the Cipro have taken care of this? It's not the "icky" staph, right? {I'm thinking last time I had staph pneumonia I almost died...if I have staph, shouldn't I feel worse than THIS?}

Nurse: Oh, no. No, not that kind. I'll talk to the doc about the antibiotics and call ya back.
Me: K.

I believe her this time, but I'm half done in the shower, so I have to finish up. Had plenty of time this time, then she called back and said, yup, the Cipro should've taken care of it and you should be good to go.

So after TEN days, I find out there WAS something but it SHOULD be gone now because whoever the heck I saw gave me antibiotics before seeing any test results.

I'm sorry, but what the hell???? I went to a "good" hospital. They are supposed to know things. Some things. I saw at least 2 different neurologists. Alllll the stress of waiting for results and calling every doctor on the planet 17 times. What a joke. And I wonder why I end up bawling at the end of the day.

I would ask Calgon to take me away but even if I did, I'd still be there.
Ya, I know.

8 comments:

Karen Mortensen said...

Oh what a mess. I am sorry for all of this. Don't ever assume doctors know anything. LOL I hope you are feeling better.

Pitterle Postings said...

I had a wonderful friend who just happened to be a doctor and he gave me some of the best advice I have ever received. It is simply that "all being a doctor is, is educated guesswork. Don't ever assume a doctor knows everything. They don't, they only know what they have seen and studied. So, if you aren't getting answers to your questions, or you are not getting good answers, don't ever hesitate to get a second opinion or to change doctors". That simple advice has been a world of help to me through the years and I never feel bad about getting second (or sometimes even third) opinions. It helps if someone else is going to bat for you. They will sometimes push when you just don't have the energy or the will power. I am so sorry that you have been going through this, but happy that you should be getting better by now. Hopefully you will really start feeling better!! You are in my prayers.

Pam said...

crying with you....
sending hugs and prayers
blessings

Joanna said...

Dude - bawl away! That's messed up and holy cow shouldn't all this be in your file of what you can and can't take??? What's the point of making the file if they don't read it?! Sorry that was my rant for you. :}

Donna Perugini said...

Where is Dr. House when you need him? Holy cow!

Rachel said...

The calgon thing doesn't work, I've tried more than once. I thought I didn't do it correctly, every time I opened my eyes I was still in my own home :0)

Sometimes all we can do is shake our head in disbelief, what else can you do but have a good laugh or a good cry...either one would be OK in this case...

Margaret said...

I know all to well what you are dealing with. I hate dealing with idiots at doctors offices and hospitals. They act like they have no idea what they are doing!

Renee said...

I was going to leave a comment--but that's good advice from Patty Ann. I second it!

Love Changes Everything by Micah Berteau - A Book Review

If you're not familiar with the story of Hosea and Gomer in the Bible, it's really quite shocking.  Here's my brief synopsis...