Saturday, January 23, 2010

ER Visit

Yuck. Double yuck.

Spent half the day at the ER today. Been having a hard time breathing the last week or so. Last night was reeallly bad, so this morning Doug took me to the ER in Kalamazoo. Took blood, did a chest x-ray. They said I had asthma, probably from 9 years of breathing crap in my trach. Plus, the same day the breathing trouble started (hindsight being 20/20 and all), I used a cleaner that I made from bleach and water. Apparently you aren't suuposed to spray it. How the heck did I know?? I use bleach in the laundry. I've used buckets of bleach water to mop. I clean the toilet with bleach. What the heck difference is spraying it?

Well, according to the chemist, my husband, chlorine molecules are heavier than air, so you can breathe in water and bleach, and blow air out...the water either absorbs or exits, but the bleach (chlorine molecules) stay in your lungs, causing inflamation. So that, combined with the asthma, combined with having MG....well, it wasn't pretty. They gave me a huge extra strong breathing treatment, and I'm on oxygen, which is helping a LOT.

But they also gave me 60 mgs of Prednisone. SIXTY!!! It has taken me since JUNE to get down from 40 to 5, 7.5 every other day. My goal (maintenance dose) is 5, 2.5 every other day. I was so close. If I have to wean down that slow again.....ooooh. I can't even THINK about it without cursing.

Dirty Bastages. (100 points if you can name the movie).

So....the verdict is, I'm going to live. Oh, and don't use bleach water as a spray.

9 comments:

Joanna said...

Ooo ooo I know - you fargin iceholes. My mother called me that once - once. :D

Wonder if this is the reason you were having issues with the trach.

Well kick the dog or punt a rooster and you'll feel better. Hugs.

CC said...

Hugs!! My husband used to be on 40 mgs, but it wasn't effective for him (plus he hated it).

I use vinegar/water spray for my cleaning. Not toxic to your lungs and still effective as a mild antibacterial.

Kerri said...

Joanna...Yup! But do you remember the NAME of the movie?

Thanks, CC. Prednisone STINKS!!!

Jenxr77 said...

I'm so sorry you had to go to the ER, I know how fun that is with MG. It sounds like you received good care though. Hopefully it was just one of those prednisone shots to help your lungs and not a huge change to your daily meds. I'll keep you in my prayers.
Hugs,
Jen

P.S. I have no idea on the movie so I will guess...Fargo?

tori said...

Hi Kerri, Thanks for stopping by my blog! Sorry you had to be in the ER in kzoo. I used to work at both hospitals there.
Hope you are feeling better. A friend of mine has MG. She has been doing well for about 5 years now.
Hang in there!

Corrie Howe said...

I'm so glad that you are okay and that it is something easy to help you with. Do you get like my son when he's on Prednisone? He's hyperactive! At least as a teenager he doesn't drive me crazy any more, but he does feel it.

Joanna said...

Johnny Dangerously

Kerri said...

You GO Joanna! I KNEW you would know it. My sister Lori and I saw that move EONS ago...we laughed so hard I thought I'd pee my pants. Do you remember E.S.S.??? LOLOLOLOL

Kerri said...

Corrie,
The prednisone makes me CRANKY. And hungry. And moody. It's horrible. But, it saved my life more than once...so...what are ya gonna do? Oh, I voted for your commercial! HILARIOUS!