Sunday, May 8, 2011

A Different Kind of Mother's Day Post

Being a mom is awesome. My mom is the best mom in the the world. I'll never forget when I was in the hospital, she was there every day that my husband couldn't be...and this was 150 miles from home. She is an angel.

But I want to talk about before I became a mom, and to those people for whom Mother's Day is a painful day. I consider Mother's Day a "Hallmark Holiday." I'm all for appreciating Mothers...but I think it should be done EVERY day.

Before I had Jacob, I hated Mother's Day. Those were the days when "everyone" either had a baby or was pregnant. I wanted children so badly, and it broke my heart that I couldn't. I've always wanted a big family, and even today my heart grieves for the children I can't have.

On this day I think of those who have lost children. I can't imagine, to the depths of my soul what agony that must be. Somehow, in the back of my mind I think it's the ONE thing I couldn't handle. I can handle the trach, the MG, stuff like that, but losing a child...I think it would destroy me. So for those of you who have gone through that....I acknowledge your pain.

On this day I also think about those who are adopted, who have given up a baby for adoption (which I want to say right here and now is the most self-LESS thing a woman could do. I wouldn't be strong enough....but to carry a baby to term and then give it the gift of a life that you couldn't give...AMAZING!!) I salute you. To those searching....I encourage you and hope you find the answers you desire.

On this day I think of those whose hearts are full of love for a child they don't or can't have. I remember how this day broke my heart....how I just wanted to stay in bed, locked in the house, and not even HEAR the word "Mother" or "Mom."

On this day I think of those whose Mothers have gone on to heaven, and as painful as it may be for us down here, THEY are rejoicing with their Creator...While we mourn, they celebrate.

So wherever YOU fit on this day, remember that you DO fit. You are loved. You are someones best friend. You are someones role model. You are someones "Jesus with skin." You are special. You are exceptional. And you are a BLESSING to many. So Happy Sunday May 8.

4 comments:

Karen Mortensen said...

Just beautiful. I love the message you shared today.

Tracy said...

Thanks Kerri. That message meant alot.

Kim@stuffcould.... said...

This is a nice thoughtful post about all the Mothers. Yes my aunt lost her 43 year old son, she will always be devastated. There is pain on Mothers Day also. Thankfully we can be happy

Cindy in NC said...

Great post Kerri! It is nice that your message included even me...I am unable to have children and mourn because of this, plus my own mother died when I was 16~when she was 43. I turn 43 in a few weeks, and for some reason can only think of her. Wondering how and what my own mother was thinking at on this date, the last few months of her life...knowing she was dying, and that she had four children she would be leaving behind...so mothers day is tough this year. Thanks for including even me. Cindy in NC!

Love Changes Everything by Micah Berteau - A Book Review

If you're not familiar with the story of Hosea and Gomer in the Bible, it's really quite shocking.  Here's my brief synopsis...