Saturday, May 14, 2011

Where Do They GET These People?

Oh goodness. I know I can't expect perfection from people...from anyone. I am far from perfect. But with today's unemployment rate what it is, you would think that EVERYONE would have qualified help.

I get a voicemail from my mail order pharmacy saying that they "couldn't process my order." Okay, first of all, I have like 10 scripts on file with them. How the heck am I supposed to know which one they mean? I even check the website and can't get any more information.

So I all the number the woman left me where "anyone who answered could help me." Mmm-hm.

I get the push one for English blah, blah, blah, and finally get to a human being. She mutters her perfunctory greeting and name, and asks how she may help me. I explain I got a voicemail with minimal information and that I was returning the call.

Her: What's your account number?

Okay, how the heck do I know?

Me: Is that the same number as my insurance number?
Her: Yes.
Me: Ok, just a minute. {digging for my card}

Her: {hurumph} What's your name? {imagine attitude and a slight smacking of the lips.}

Me: Kerri Sweeris. S-w-e-e-r-i-s First name Kerri. K-e-r-r-i.
Her: Birth date?
Me: 1-4-71.
Her: 1971?
Me: {No, 1871, what the??} Yes, 1971

Her: Did you say T-e-r-i?
Me: No, Kerri. K as in kangaroo (I can never think of anything on the spot)---
Her: {interrupting} Last name V-i-n-e?

Me: {thinking, Really???} I found my card now, would that help?
Her: What's the number?"

So I read it off.
Her: {getting back to her "customer voice"} Oh, yes ma'am, your prescription can't be processed without prior auth.
Me: {again, thinking which freakin' prescription??} Okay, which one?

Her: I'll spell it. {rattles off very quickly}
Me: Um, could you spell the name of it a little slower please? {I didn't recognize anything but the last 6 letters or so}

Her: Of course, ma'am. {get ready for it} N as in Nancy, A as is Adam, M as in Mary, E as in Edward, C as in Charlie....{spells all out} and then X as in X-ray and a 24

So she goes through the whole thing like that, and this is what she spelled: nameclaritinx24
In NORMAL people language, that would be 24 hour Claritin.

Now, like I said, I don't expect everyone to know everything. But you'd think she would have realized that the N-A-M-E at the beginning was the word NAME??? As in the NAME of the medication?? Good Lord.

Oh my GOSH!!! And at least this one was American. I could see her shaking her head, rolling her eyes and hear her smacking her lips, but she spoke English. Not like the Indian people (IN India) who answer, and say their name is Joe or Sue or whatever.

With so many people looking for a job, you'd THINK they could up their game a little. Just sayin'. I have enough ignorance to deal with regarding my health just with the general public!!! How silly of me to expect SO much from someone answering the phone at a place that deals with all of my prescriptions! God forbid this woman was in charge of like, alerting customers to potential interactions between their drugs!

"Yes ma'am, I just called to let you know that your medications could interact. Call anyone at this number and they will be as ignorant as I am will be able to help you."

Help me right into a straight jacket!

4 comments:

Joanna said...

It's frustrating because they've moved all those jobs out of the country, but as you pointed out, ignorance knows no limits.

Have you seen those commercials with the guy who's name is Peggy? It would be funny if it wasn't so true.

Karen Mortensen said...

I know what you mean. This kind of thing happens every time I call my computer service number.

Kim@stuffcould.... said...

This happens to me all the time! I guess it is another hassle with health stuff. You wrote it out perfectly!

Young Wife said...

Oh, my goodness! I was laughing so hard when I read what she spelled. I have had many, many issues with mail order pharmacy. I'm sorry. I feel your pain.

Love Changes Everything by Micah Berteau - A Book Review

If you're not familiar with the story of Hosea and Gomer in the Bible, it's really quite shocking.  Here's my brief synopsis...