Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Sooooooo Tired

Jacob has decided that his new wake-up time is between 6:00 and 6:30 AM. So, whether we get a nap or not, whether he gets to bed on time or not, whether we have a busy day or not...does not matter.

Thankfully, I have been feeling stronger (YAY!!!!) than I have been, so I haven't keeled over. Yet. But I am telling you, we ARE taking a nap today....and SOON!

Went to the doctor yesterday afternoon, got more water pills, and more labs to do. Doug had to get to the cow auction, so I didn't have time to do it yesterday. We'll probably go back (to get blood drawn) when he gets home from work today. Then he has a council meeting tonight...the last 3 days have just been insane.

Speaking of cows....we now have 3. Yes, THREE. Good ol' Chuck has really settled down. {It's quite hilarious, because when he's laying down we call him Ground Chuck, and when he's standing we call him Up Chuck...Jacob doesn't really get it, but the other morning we were letting the dogs out and he says, 'Hey, we have Up Chuck today!!"}

And technically they are not cows; they are steers. (I'm learning way more than I ever knew I would know or even care to know!) Chuck has mellowed considerably. The second day of medicating him never happened. I got to watch that one. Talk about stubborn! Doug even went in with the tractor to try to herd him toward Kyle, but Chuck charged the tractor! Then, when the DID finally get him in the stall, it went though the wall of the barn! Now granted, our barn is 150 years old (at least), so it wasn't difficult.

We got a red angus steer weighing in at about 850 pounds (he looks very big) and a little one (400 lbs) that's mostly black with a little white. He's SO cute. Jacob named them Hay and Oats. I told Doug I needed one to have for a pet. I want a totally light brown one. They are cute even when they're grown up. And when they are little....SO cute. I want to feed and pet one, but I can't do that with the ones we have now or I'll never be able to eat them.

So anyway. Now we have 3 dogs, 3 steers, a rabbit, 3 ducks, 6 turkeys, 23 laying chickens, and like 24 meat chickens. Yikes. Green Acres is the place to be.....

6 comments:

Rita* said...

Well, I get the pet thing, but remember if you get a steer and keep him he turns into an OX literally. The way Kyle explains it an Oxen are a steers that are... mature? Maybe talk doug into getting some dexter cows. They stay small, so you could have a little ox :o)

Rachel said...

I'm looking for a place in the country for vacation this year. Will you be offering fun on the farm vacations this summer????

CoconutPalmDesigns said...

Wow! You beat us for farm animals. I'm still working with my 8 little baby chicks. I agree with you, little light brown cows are the cutest. When we were getting out cows I really wanted a light brown one but everyone kept laughing at me.

Cheers :-)
- CoconutPalmDesigns

Kim@stuffcould.... said...

It is nice that you really have a farm of animals. I hope Jacob let you sleep!

Joanna said...

The words....they fail me. :)

Pitterle Postings said...

We have a dog, a cat, and 23 chickens. They are laying although we also have four roosters and will be eating them soon.

Love Changes Everything by Micah Berteau - A Book Review

If you're not familiar with the story of Hosea and Gomer in the Bible, it's really quite shocking.  Here's my brief synopsis...