Thursday, May 19, 2011

Why I Am Thankful For MG

What a crazy title, right? But seriously, as I was heating up my breakfast (don't ask...I eat weird things for breakfast) I was thinking how blessed I really am. SO....without further ado:

Why I Am Thankful For MG

1. I got to learn right away that my husband was a man of integrity and character. We were married for six weeks before I went into the hospital, and he could have so easily said, "not for me." But he didn't. He stayed. And I love him for that, and so much more.

2. I have had the opportunity to hear doctors who were not men of faith, tell me I was truly a miracle for being alive. That there was no medical reason, other than Someone wanted me to live.

3. I have had the blessing of sharing my story and sharing the Power of Almighty God. There truly IS no medical reason I should be alive, yet here I am. (Like it or not!) This includes the miraculous birth of my precious son, whom I never should have been able to conceive, let alone carry to term.

4. I have met some of the strongest, most amazing people with illnesses like MG and others. These men and women support me, encourage me, pray for me, and genuinely care about me. Many live far away, but they are like family. I know that I can depend on these people to be there for me emotionally, because they "get" me.

5. I have had the sometimes dubious distinction of finding out how much I really mean to people. Some stepped up, and some stepped out. Over 11 years of illness, I have lost many friends. But were they really friends in the first place? The good thing about being ill, is that if you have the same people by your side before AND after, you know you've got the real thing.

6. I am SO thankful for ministry opportunities that God is opening up for me right from my own home. It is obvious that the church (generally speaking) is sorely unprepared for dealing with people with chronic illness. If I can help someone else by anything I can do or say, I will be thrilled to pieces.

7. As weird as it may sound, I don't worry nearly as much as I used to. I used to worry about everything. But when you get sick, things change. Priorities change. Things that used to consume me don't even register on the radar anymore. God has everything under control, and it took a LOT for me to understand that. But now that I'm there, it's a beautiful thing.

8. I have seen the graciousness of people that I have "known" but not really KNOWN. The obvious examples are Kerry and Karen, who give up a day of their week, EVERY week, to come to my house. They help around the house, they help with Jacob, they lift my spirits, they make meals for my family....they love me. And I love them. My new "old" friend Linda, who has coordinated care for me and made many meals herself...who has talked me off the ledge....

9. I have always been a Christian as far as I can remember...but now I know what it is like to be a Child of God. There is a difference.

10. I have grown emotionally and spiritually in ways that never could have happened without being ill. I mean, nothing is impossible with God, but He knew what it would take to REALLY get my attention, and bless me in ways I never could have been blessed as a healthy "me." I would have SO gotten in the way.

I know I don't feel like this every day, but I really wouldn't change a thing. I know so many amazing people now. AMAZING. And I am just plain BLESSED.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I LOVE this post! I have printed it out and am tucking it into the bag I'm taking to the hospital tomorrow morning for surgery (again). "That which doesn't kill us makes us stronger" - you are proof of that, and are an inspiration to the rest of us. God bless :)

CoconutPalmDesigns said...

Great post! I love how upbeat you sound today. It does my heart good!

Cheers :-)
- CoconutPalmDesigns

Kim@stuffcould.... said...

I like your title, I have almost done the same with MS....I see that you have many things to be thankful for. Hubby, friends, Jacob, etc

Love Changes Everything by Micah Berteau - A Book Review

If you're not familiar with the story of Hosea and Gomer in the Bible, it's really quite shocking.  Here's my brief synopsis...