Sunday, July 17, 2011

Reflecting Him by Carla McDougal

Oh, the importance of light in our lives, in our world, on our planet. Carla shares a perfect analogy:

"A month after Jake's birth, I awakened in the middle of the night to an immense pounding pain that ignited every nerve in my body. I quietly tiptoed to the bathroom to use the medicine I knew would provide immediate relief. As a thoughtful wife, I decided not to turn on the light because it might wake up my husband, Fred. I reached into the drawer for the tube of medicine, applied it liberally, and then staggered back to bed. Not thirty seconds later, I felt a fire ignite in my lower regions. Instantly, I realized the "hemorrhoid medicine" I had used was actually a tube of Deep Heat!" (pg 64, Reflecting Him)

Obviously, if Carla had turned the light on, she would have seen her error before it was made. In our lives, if we are in the Light, we can see the error of our ways before we get burned.

There are so many ways to compare the Son and the sun...Here are just a few:

Just as the sun is the center of our universe and our source of light, just as the sun governs the day, so is Jesus the center of our souls, and the Source to light our way.

Just like we would die without the physical sun, so would our souls "die" eternally if we didn't have Jesus in our lives.

In the spectrum of light, visible light is the portion that can be seen by the human eye. The following are elements we cannot see: cosmic rays, gamma rays, X-rays, ultraviolet rays, infrared rays, and radio waves. If we based what we knew about the sun on only what we could see, we would not have the fullest understanding of physical light. (Reflecting Him pg. 73)

The same can be said about Jesus. Some of the things He does we can see in our lives...miracles happen around us every day. But there is SO MUCH MORE to discover. So much to be understood that is unseen about the way Jesus works in our lives. Think of what we would miss if we were content to accept only what is seen!

One more interesting point from these two weeks of study: Have you ever realized that vegetation on earth was created before the sun? We all know that plants need sunlight for photosynthesis, and that photosynthesis is the key to their very existence. So why did God create vegetation before he created its life-source?

Ponder this: plants were created with an unmet need: the sun. I believe that we as human beings are also created with an unmet need: the Son. And God in His infinite wisdom and mercy provided the source for both.

I am in week 7 of 10 in this study, and I'm telling you, I will be sad to see it end. I highly recommend this study to anyone...you will learn so much! More reviews to come...I'm not done yet!

2 comments:

Becky Jane said...

Inspiring analogy! He IS the light of the world. Through His priesthood power the sun gets it's light and power.

Kim@stuffcould.... said...

I have had this thought about light and the need for it, many times recently....Son and sun

Love Changes Everything by Micah Berteau - A Book Review

If you're not familiar with the story of Hosea and Gomer in the Bible, it's really quite shocking.  Here's my brief synopsis...