Thursday, June 8, 2017

When They Told Me I Might Die

So here I am, back at the U of M, finally in a room at like 2 in the morning.  My saving grace was that it was December, so I had new doctors once again.  And this time, they were GOOD.  I will never forget Dr. Paola Moretti.  He is the second doctor I credit with saving my life.  He looked me right in the eye and said, "We WILL figure out what's wrong with you."  And I totally believed him.  And he kept his word.

On December 9, 2000, my team of doctors walked into the room looking quite somber. I knew that at this point, none of the tests, bloodwork, LP's, EMG's, etc had come back positive. One negative after another.  Dr. Moretti said, "We have narrowed your condition down to 2 things:  one of them is Myasthenia Gravis, which is treatable, but there is no cure.  The other is a form of bulbar palsy that is degenerative and terminal."   

I just blinked.  I was 29 years old.  I had been married for about 14 weeks.  And I was just told I may be dying from a horrible, degenerative, debilitating disease.  I couldn't speak. And those who know me know I'm *never* at a loss for words. I couldn't even pray.  

And that's what scared me the most.  

Then the Lord led me to Romans 8:26-27. 

"Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words.  And he who searches hearts knows what is the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints according to the will of God." Romans 8:26-27 ESV

What a comfort!  I had been a Christian my whole life, but never before did I lack words to pray... Until now.  When I read this passage, when I understood that the very Holy Spirit of GOD, who lived in me, went before the throne of God on MY behalf; "with groanings too deep for words":  don't get me wrong, I was still very troubled... But I had a sense of peace that I didn't have before, because I knew somehow, God was going to take care of me.

Dr. Moretti said the best thing to do was to continue treating me as if I had Myasthenia Gravis (MG) because out of the two things I most likely had, it was the only one that was treatable. So if I responded to treatment, I had MG.  If I didn't I'd likely be dead in months.  Only time would tell.
To be continued...

For part one of my story click here: http://sickofmg.blogspot.com/2017/06/ah-june.html

Part two:  http://sickofmg.blogspot.com/2017/06/can-anyone-tell-me-whats-wrong.html

 

No comments:

Love Changes Everything by Micah Berteau - A Book Review

If you're not familiar with the story of Hosea and Gomer in the Bible, it's really quite shocking.  Here's my brief synopsis...