Monday, November 12, 2018

The Little Things


Before I got sick, I was definitely a "grand gesture" kind of girl.  Lavish gifts, big parties, weekends in Chicago, the bigger the better. I worked hard and played hard. But then Myasthenia Gravis came into my life. 

I got too sick to work. I was too weak to go grocery shopping.  Pretty soon I couldn't put my hair up or take a shower on my own, or even breathe without a machine.

It's then that you realize that life truly is about the little things.

Being able to put my own socks and shoes on.

Being able to wash my hair.  (Being clean is totally under-rated!! Go without a shower or washing your hair for a while...you'll know what I mean!)

Being able to breathe without a ventilator.

Being able to talk after 4 months with no voice whatsoever.

Being able to do laundry.

Being able to stand long enough to make a meal.

Being able to put make up on.

Being able to cut my own food.

These are all things I was unable to do when I was really sick.  Some of these things literally took years for me to get back to doing.  I was so weak, and so very sick. 

Sometimes, a grand gesture is wonderful!  And it can be a very necessary thing.  But most often, it's the little things we can do that make our lives and the lives of our loved ones better.

Smile at a stranger.  You will notice how their whole countenance changes.  Say hi to someone.  Compliment the cashier ringing up your groceries, or the server bringing you food.  Pay for someone behind you at a toll booth.  Pay for someone's coffee, or meal if you can. 

This world didn't get ugly and hateful overnight.  Sometimes it feels that way, but it truly didn't.  We turned a blind eye little by little, by little, by little... until we opened them and saw we were facing a whole different direction.

Let's get back to the little things.  Do something kind today, just for the sake of kindness.  I'll bet you'll make someone feel really good.  And I have a feeling you'll walk a little lighter yourself.

1 comment:

kate said...

As a sign of gratitude for how my son was saved from fibromyalgia , i decided to reach out to those still suffering from this.
My son suffered fibromyalgia in the year 2013 and it was really tough and heartbreaking for me because he was my all and the symptoms were terrible, he always complain of joint stiffness, and he always have difficulty falling asleep . we tried various therapies prescribed by our neurologist but none could cure him. I searched for a cure and i saw a testimony by someone who was cured and so many other with similar body problem, and they left the contact of this doctor who had the cure to fibromyalgia . I never imagined fibromyalgia has a natural cure not until i contacted him and he assured me my son will be fine. I got the herbal medication he recommended and my son used it and in one months time he was fully okay even up till this moment he is so full of life. fibromyalgia has a cure and it is a herbal cure contact the doctor for more info on drwilliams098675@gmail.com on how to get the medication. Thanks for reading my testimony.

Love Changes Everything by Micah Berteau - A Book Review

If you're not familiar with the story of Hosea and Gomer in the Bible, it's really quite shocking.  Here's my brief synopsis...